Friday, August 29, 2008

Introducing...

Oh hurrah!
I am in rhapsodies right now!
Something absolutely delightful exists and now I know about it.


I am a fickle woman truly.
Last semester is was h.
Several semesters before that is was Re.
NOW it is...



del.

Oh del is so neat! It looks like an upside delta triangle.
And it is both a vector and a derivative operator at the same time!
And you can do super cool things with it like cross products and dot products and it takes the derivative of the other vectors at the same time!



Okay. You may all go back to your normal lives and not worry about del at all. But I shall go and enjoy the thrills I get every time I think that such a thing exists.

2 comments:

Homemanager said...

Are you sure you are in the right field? Maybe you should be a teacher or something...you would definitely impart a love to your students for these things. :-)
You will have to explain it more in layman's terms for me later. :-)

Carla said...

Aw... now I feel like my two semesters of calculus were worth nothing in the end. I want to know about del, too!